Chukwuemeka Anoh | December 12, 2017
Share on

An attempted suicide bomber who set off a rush-hour explosion at the nation’s busiest bus terminal is a Bangladeshi national, living in Brooklyn, who was inspired by ISIS, Law enforcement officials said.
The suspect in Monday morning’s blast at Port Authority in midtown Manhattan was identified as Akayed Ullah.
The 27 year old Ullah strapped a pipe bomb to his body with Velcro and zip ties and it detonated in a subway corridor, the police said. Akayed Ullah allegedly detonated a pipe bomb underneath New York City’s Port Authority.
The man partially detonated the device, which he was carrying under the right side of his jacket, prematurely inside the passageway to the A, C and E trains at Eighth Avenue and West 42nd Street around 7:40 a.m., sources said.
The suspect allegedly packed a 5-inch metal pipe bomb and battery pack into the right side of his jacket, Investigators briefly spoke to the alleged bomber, who told them he made the explosive device at the electrical company where he works.
The device was an “effectively low-tech device,” New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said on Monday. Officials said they are investigating whether the suspect detonated the bomb intentionally or if it went off prematurely.
The explosion triggered a massive emergency response by police and fire both above and below ground, tangling subway and bus service at Port Authority.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the explosion was an “attempted terrorist attack.”
“At this point in time,” the only suspect is the one man already in custody, De Blasio said Monday morning, adding that the city is lucky, that the suspect didn’t achieve his intended goals.
At least four people, not including the suspect, were injured in the explosion, an NYPD spokeswoman confirmed Monday afternoon. Three patients have been released from the hospital.
The man, who suffered the most serious injuries, was taken to Bellevue Hospital.
Three others suffered non-life-threatening injuries. One person was taken to St. Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital, another to Mount Sinai and another person was treated at the scene, officials said.
A 911 caller, who would only identify herself as Carmen, told The Post: “I didn’t see anything, I just heard an explosion and I ran out like everyone did to look for the nearest exit.”
“I had like a panic attack, I couldn’t breathe. My stomach started hurting,” the witness said. “I’m doing better — I’m just trying to catch a train to go back home to College Point.”
Ullah lived in Brooklyn after he entered the U.S. in 2011 from Bangladesh on a chain migration visa, Department of Homeland Security Press Secretary Tyler Houlton said in a statement.
The DHS said Ullah came to the U.S. on an F43 visa, a preferential visa available for those with family in the U.S. who are citizens.


Metro Times is a non-profit independent news media committed to in-depth information about social issues, politics, technology, sports, entertainment and religion across the Globe.
We encourage and are committed to investigative and analytical reports on any subject matter.

Send your breaking news, articles for publication with pictures and bio data, and any relevant information to contact@metrotimes.com.ng